GROWING ORGANIC VEGETABLES IN YOUR BACK YARD
I would like to encourage every home owner to grow organic vegetables in their back yard. Home owners who grow their own organic vegetables grow superior food. Initial costs may seem high but your investment will pay you back economically and nutritionally. Spring is the time to get started.
There are many reasons to grow your own vegetables. The best quality vegetables are grown by home owners. Below are my 6 reasons.
1. Building raised beds and mixing your own organic soil can provide you with superior nutritional organic vegetables and a greater yield for the space you have available. Raised beds can be placed anywhere on your property where you have good sun even in locations like rock outcrops or other places where plants can’t grow.
2. Harvesting your crop at maturity is the most nutritional time to pick your vegetables. Direct from the vine to the kitchen table provides you with the greatest nutrient rich vegetables. Farmers do not have that option because the shelf life is too short and they need to pick their crop prior to maturity.
3. There is a much larger seed selection to choose from by growing your own vegetables. Varietal differences can make a difference. Trading these secrets with fellow gardeners and saving your own seed can be part of the fun in growing your own organic vegetables.
4. Vegetable gardening can be a part of a family activity. There is nothing more rewarding than to have a child grow and eat the vegetable he or she grew. There are hundreds of lessons that a child learns when watching the plants he helped plant grow and mature into delicious edible fruit. Strawberry crops and cherry tomatoes are favorites.
5. Prior to planting your vegetable garden is the perfect time to build raised beds. They are quick and easy to install. Raised beds provide a neat clean look. They can be bordered with flowering plants to enhance the look.
6. Growing plants organically helps remove Co2 from the environment helping to reduce global warming.
Growing your own vegetables is a win, win situation for the whole family. The key to growing great vegetables is in the soil mix. Below is my formula taken from my book “12 Steps to Natural Gardening” page 159. This formula has been used by many of our customers and receives sterling reviews each year. There is nothing like eating these home grown vegetables picked directly from your garden.
Read my chapter on the organic Vegetable Garden page 157.